Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Human Centipede (May 7, 2011)

I lasted 10 minutes after the operation. That was it. My biggest mistake, I think, was the fact that I had just fixed dinner - steak and eggs - when I put in the movie. I ended up turning away from the movie, taking a few bites and gagging, my hands were shaking the entire time too. I felt a little lightheaded too. I'm such a wuss when it comes to movies like this. It's not the horrific parts, it's just the idea of the whole situation - making a human centipede - being plausible. I find the thought disgusting, and as much as I want to believe that there's no one who would do such a thing, I have this itching fear that there is one insane person in the world who would dare try such a "project."



I know I'm a bit behind on the movie watching, so I'm making a huge guess that I don't have to give a description or synopsis or plot or anything like that. If you haven't watched it before, or don't know what the hell I'm talking about: I would just go to either Wikipedia or IMDb, unless - of course - you want to watch the movie yourself, then I recommend you hitting up Netflix or somewhere. I also recommend not watching it while eating or when hungry. I am serious about this. I don't want anyone getting nauseous and puking because of this movie.

I will say this much. Dieter Laser played Dr. Heiter with scary precision. His glare, his silence, his manner of speech; they all scared the shit out of me. They gave me this eerie chill up and down my spine, all the way to my toes, and down to the marrow of my bones. His voice has this rasp that drops me to my knees (figuratively) in fear and shiver from what he's talking about. Laser gives Dr. Heiter this "trust me, I'm a doctor" authority presence about him when he's looking at you and talking to you, and his monotone voice (that only goes up a note or two when he's yelling) definitely seals the deal to make this doctor of pure insanity an unforgettable, powerhouse character.

Though I really don't want to think about it, I find myself asking the ultimate question: Could this insanity work? (Don't judge. You know you're wondering the same damn thing!) While my imagination makes my body shiver and shake from the thought of this medical procedure being plausible, my scientific side of mind is curious. Yes, I am a contradiction in one body! Seriously, let's look at Dr. Heiter's projected images of his little, twisted "project":
thank you Cafe Press for having all the images in 1 shot!
According to Dr. Heiter (I'm going to refer to him as if he were a real person, by the way), he needs to cut the anus and the lips in order to make the digestive line more suitable between persons. He also needs to pull out the incisor teeth, so subject B and C can't block the digestive route or bite down or as Dr. Heiter said (paraphrased), "you don't need them." The one thing I still don't understand is why the heck did he cut the  ligaments (or was it the tendons) of the knees. Maybe I was in the process of blocking the images out that I missed his explanation as to why he needed to cut those. Either way, I was fully disturbed but intrigued by Dr. Heiter's idea. My only major issue with the science behind human centipede: The digestive tract. Subjects B and C end up eating sh*t - literally. Sure, Dr. Heiter was a conjoined twins expert, but I just don't see the human centipede being true blue for sure. I can see the whole sharing of intestines but going big intestine to mouth.... That is just a bit too surreal to believe it could happen in the natural world. When a mere mortal decides to play GOD, then perhaps I could see the above image being twisted into reality.

I must admit that I do feel horrible for the character of Lindsay (portrayed by Ashley C. Williams) as she was Subject B (the middle of the centipede). After Katsuro (Akihiro Kitamura) committed seppuku - though he didn't perform the traditional hara-kiri (cutting of the stomach), and Jenny (Ashlynn Yennie) died of complications (her mouth got infected, probably from having to eat her friend's feces), she - Lindsay - was the last one standing, so to speak, and there was no way for her to get free. As the movie ended with the sight of Lindsay moaning and muffled screaming between the dead Katsuro and Jenny, I couldn't help but imagine her slow death due to starvation and more than likely infection of her rear end (as infected Jenny was attached to it). I go too far sometimes....

My other half keeps laughing at me, because I cringe every time we mention this movie. He keeps telling me, "It's just a movie, you know. It's not real." Well, duh, I know that, but it's the idea of it being plausible that scares me sh*tless! This movie (along with other movies) is why I know how to change my own flat tire - even if it would take me 3 hrs to change it - and I know to better than to stray off of main roads when in a different area, let alone a different country.

I'm going off on a tangent, but this entry is just my thoughts on the movie, Human Centipede. I may have lasted only 10 minutes post-surgery, but I managed my way through the movie with my head turned away half the time and my eyes closed.

Until next time - either Legion or Ichi

No comments:

Post a Comment